Friday, August 05, 2011

One year ago I increased my running volume from one commute to-and-from work per week, to two. For an entire year I have run the round trip (3.75 miles one way) twice per week as often as I could. (Work travel, holidays, and vacation prevented many runs.) I figured it was an appropriate time to put together some statistics about the commute.
  • I ran to/from work work 107 times. Considering 4x52 weeks, that is a 51% success rate.
  • Over the past year I ran 810 miles total, running to/from work was 51% (415 miles) of my total distance.
My morning runs were much more consistent. The run home from work I often modify by doing intervals, steps, or longer distance. 88 of my runs were tempo runs door-door. Of these runs:
  • My average time door-to-door was 29.81 minutes
  • My fastest time door-to-door was 24.85 minutes
  • My slowest time door-to-door was 35.87 minutes
Run durations depend on timing of street lights, energy level, and construction (there have been numerous detours on my main route).

A histogram of these run durations can be seen in this image:http://imgur.com/J7hUO.png.