Wednesday, January 09, 2013

2012 was a big year for me in many ways. To better understand in perspective I have compiled some numbers from the year.

54 - the number of distinct places outside of Washington State that I visited, which is 16 more than the second highest year. The busiest month was January when I lived out of a suitcase and visited 10 separate places in 5 countries.

94 - the number of days spent doing activities in the mountains, which is 22 more days than my second highest year. 2012 included 26 days of alpine skiing, 30 days of backcountry skiing, and 38 days of hiking. Highlights included a week of skiing in Austria, a week of skiing in Chile, backpacking in Denali and the Grand Canyon, and a traverse across Mt. Olympus.

669 - the number of miles I ran in 2012, which included two of my longest runs, 17.8 miles at the Silvrettarun 3000 race in Austria and 17.9 miles on a trail run on Mt. Teneriffe.

Some smaller numbers include:

4 - books read. But in my defense I read all 54 Economist editions and the entire internet

3 - concerts attended, all artists already seen in other years.

3 - the number of bones I broke this year: right 4th metacarpal, left ulna, left trapezium.